Saturday, August 9, 2014

A Whole New World!

I'm very excited about my most recent quilt finish. It's been a long time in the making because I was waiting for a few key elements for quilting: 1. Inspiration, and 2. A ruler base for my long arm. ;)

In late June I had the very unique opportunity to spend the day with Angela Walters and a few other VERY exceptionally talented long armers in Denver. The airlines almost didn't let it happen, but Angela persevered, and made it to Denver, and we just really tried to suck as much information out of Angela's brain as conceivably possible in a 6 hour span of time. ;o)

 (Susan (front right) made each of us these little placemats, it wasn't part of our class)

One of the take-aways for me (of MANY) was how to use a ruler for quilting. I have a few quilt tops that are awaiting quilting inspiration, but I only really have one that was right for using the ruler base. (It's basically an acrylic add-on, similar to an acrylic extension table for your domestic sewing machine.)

(this isn't me practicing with a ruler, obviously, but it's the best picture of me and my BFF, Angela!) ;o)

So after that amazing "mountain top" experience, I seriously debated buying a ruler base for my long arm. It was $100, and I just wasn't sure it would be worth it, you know? I spend SO much money on stuff that I don't need or end up using (Hello, Accuquilt Go cutter!), but I decided to take the plunge on this one.

The Shape Shifters quilt that the {Faith Circle} of the Do. Good Stitches bee made in April was perfect for ruler-guided quilting. The problem? I needed to piece the top!! There were a few blocks that I had to re-make because they were trimmed wrong, but it really is an amazingly easy set of blocks to make. (You can find the tutorial HERE) Once I got the top pieced and the backing selected, it was time to get to work!

And WORK it was!! Man alive. Practicing on Susan's long arm for a few minutes was NOTHING like actually doing the quilting on my own quilt, on my own machine. The first block took for. eh. ver. Forever. Or at least four hours, which felt like forever! 

                                           

But then I figured out how to stream-line the process a bit, and eventually got to where each block was taking me about 30 minutes. All in all, though, I believe I spent about 20 hours quilting this quilt.

Totally worth it, yes, but goodness gracious! My arms ached, my legs ached, my back ached...Ruler-guided quilting is not for the weak, that's for sure!

                                                   

Now it's bound, and I'm going to put on the label, and take it to Restore Innocence so they can give it to a girl rescued from sex trafficking.

Here are a couple of pictures of the secondary design of the blocks, and the quilting in each.

  

And one more glamour shot for good measure. ;o)

                                                

7 comments:

  1. Well done!! And so worth the effort! It really is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! You did FAITH Circle proud, and for such a good cause....Thanks Melissa for all your heartfelt work finishing this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, I love it! I took a ruler class from Angela last year, and quickly determined I am not in the ruler-lover category (not much of a surprise there). I know how much work is in this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah!! Thank you, Alison. I completely agree -- rulers aren't for everyone. I love the end result, but MAN, it's nice to just do some quick, flow-ey, free-motion quilting! Using the ruler causes a lot of stopping and starting, but it looks nice in the end. I know I'll get better. And hope I get faster!

      Delete
  4. Melissa the quilt turned out so beautifully! You've really invested a lot of yourself in it and that makes it all the more a very special blessing to give away. That which costs us nothing means very little. Thank you for all the time and sweat equity you put into this quilt!

    ReplyDelete

What are you sewing?